6:39 PM. Valentine’s Day. The kids have dinner and are watching a movie, the babysitter’s on the way despite a flat tire, you finally got those dinner reservations for 7:30 on the books (phew!). You’ve got just enough time to get yourself ready before it’s out the door.
As you’re standing over the sink, a little hand reaches up and hands you a red piece of construction paper.
“What’s this, sweetie?”
“It’s a valentine. I made it for you.”
When we think of Valentine’s Day, we usually think of a romantic night away from the kids, but the truth is, Valentine’s Day isn’t about romance. It’s about love! And at Little Partners, we think that means it should be a day for telling everyone special in your life how much you love them. Especially your little ones.
So with that in mind, we’re going to give you some of our favorite Valentine’s Day crafts for kids, so you can make it a celebration to share with everyone in you family.
1. Fun Valentine's Day Craft to Teach Shapes
This is a fantastic craft that not only lets your budding artist explore different materials, but creates an opportunity to learn about shapes as well. All you’ll need is some tissue paper, contact paper, and a roll of masking tape.
- Step 1: Cut tissue paper into identifiable shapes - triangle, circle, square, and heart.
- Step 2: Cut out large, heart-shaped piece of self adhesive contact paper (sticky side up) and tape with masking tape or artist tape to Peek-A-Boo Artist Easel or window.
- Step 3: Place shapes in piles and allow child to stick each shape to contact paper.
- Step 4: Identify shape - or allow child to name shape as they pick it up and place it on heart area.
- Step 5: Watch them layer shapes until your little artist decides their art is complete.
- Step 6: Transfer from artist easel to window if desired to fill their art with sunshine!
2. Paper Towel Roll Heart Stamps
This one is as simple as it gets and loads of fun. See that empty paper towel or toilet paper roll? In three seconds you can make your little buddy an amazing heart-shaped stamp for their Valentine’s Day! Crafts for kids should all be this easy and fun.
- Step 1: Get an old toilet paper or paper towel roll and cut it into a tube big enough for your child to hold comfortably.
- Step 2: Lay the roll on the counter lengthwise, and fold the center down so the end takes the shape of a heart.
- Step 3: Break out the paper, some red paint, and an art smock, and start making Valentines!
3. Delicious Valentine’s Day Cookies
Toddlers love helping you bake, and with a Learning Tower® you’ll be able to transform the effort of making these Valentine’s Day Cookies by Betty Crocker into a fun and interactive experience for your little pastry chef in training!
1 C. powdered sugar
1 C. butter or margarine, softened
1 Tbsp white vinegar
2 ¼ C. all-purpose flour
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp salt
6 drops red food coloring
2 C. powdered sugar
½ tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp milk or half-and-half
- Heat oven to 400℉. In large bowl, beat powdered sugar, butter and vinegar with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in remaining cookie ingredients except food coloring. Divide dough in half. Mix food coloring into one half. (If dough is too dry, stir in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.)
- On lightly floured cloth-covered surface, roll dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut into heart shapes with various sizes of cookie cutters. Place smaller hearts on larger hearts of different color dough if desired. On ungreased cookie sheet, place shapes about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until set but not brown. Cool 1 to 2 minutes; carefully remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In medium bowl, mix all frosting ingredients until smooth and spreadable. Tint with food color if desired.
- Decorate with frosting and sprinkles!
Make it Easy for Valentine’s Day Crafts
For kids, Valentine’s Day means lots of love and fun, and it’s a reminder that there’s never a bad time for families to show each other how much they care. Little Partners is dedicated to helping you share those moments with your loved one with our line of Learning Towers and easels.
By creating spaces for creativity, and safely empowering your child to explore new adult-height places with you, your Valentine’s Day will definitely be one to remember this year!